Monday nights are the night where Sarah and I watch a television program called "Intervention" on the A&E channel. The show is a 1 hour program filmed in a documentary style. It chronicles addicts with intense struggles and addictive behavior. The addictions are various; Alcoholism, Eating disorders, Meth, Crack, Heroin, etc. The Subjects of the show think they're doing a documentary about they're struggles, with the hope that it will help someone in a similar situation. Little do they know towards end of the show they will face an intervention. This includes a sit down with a counselor, family and friends. The family gets an opportunity to air out concerns, express love and let them know if they don't go get help(which is provided by the show) then life won't be the same for the addict(This usually includes a nullifying of enabling type behavior by the friend or family member).
They're are various reasons why Sarah and I like the show, but I think ultimately we like seeing people experience redemption. Now this doesn't always happen. The show usually gives you a brief peek into how they did in treatment. Some excel, but in all actuality most relapse and it remains a continued battle for them to be free of their struggles.
I find it interesting that most of these people who get to this point have a horrible, traumatic, life circumstance that contributed to the place where we see them in the show(Parents death, sexual, physical or emotional abuse etc.) I can't imagine what something like that must feel like.
As a Christian I know that we're born into a state of depravity and that only by Christ's "intervention" into our lives, can we then have a sense that this brokenness about our being, has somehow supernaturally been fixed. The lack of this knowledge, a traumatic life event coupled with drug addiction, must make the struggle that much harder for the addict. Ultimately no matter how healthy or restored these people might get, unless they have an encounter with God and receive a healing that starts at the root, then deep down the struggle will remain.
They're a couple of counselors on the show which are Sarah and I's favorite. Ken Seeley and Jeff Vanvonderan. You never know which counselor you're gonna get for a particular addict so I always ask Sarah..."Are we going to get Mustache Magee or are they gonna go Seeley style!"
Here are pics of our two heros and check out the show if you get a chance.
Will

No comments:
Post a Comment