Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Art...

Sarah and I are people who appreciate creativity and style. Sprucing up our apartment with various pieces has been a nice pastime as of late, and I wanted to share a couple of things bring life to our humble abode.

The first is from an artist that I've admired for a long time. My sister used to work at portfolio art gallery in Columbia, my home town, and I'd always visit her and peruse the gallery for pieces that I liked. My favorite artist is a woman by the name of Amanda Messing. One painting of hers I wanted badly and it was like my dream painting. I bugged Laura for several months to contact Amanda to see if she could do me something more modest and less expensive. Unknown to me, Laura was saving and had contacted my parents to purchase the dream painting for my birthday that year! So while Laura kept blowing me off and making me frustrated about the smaller painting she was using Nevalosing Awesomeness to purchase the dream instead. That is why she is the Captain of Awesome and I love her dearly.

Sometimes I would notice other artists in the gallery and it looked as if they took painstaking time to create something worth selling. Amanda was the type of artist in contrast that you could tell was a natural and her paintings looked effortless.

Sarah and I returned to the gallery last year and yet again Amanda had another painting that was screaming to be purchased by a Troutman and his future wife. I struggled so badly to justify buying the pricey goodness, but fortunately my brilliant wife made a profound statement. She said "Art is the kind of thing you can always make excuses not to buy no matter what your financial status might be". That and the fact that we could make monthly payments on it pretty much confirmed that the painting was ours. Long live my wife and her goodness.

The second thing I wanted to comment on was our amazing new coasters. We bought them from a store called "Arte Forma" a local furniture store here in Atlanta. The coasters are made of marble and have some pretty sick designs on them.

I will leave you with pictures of the two paintings and the coasters.

Thank you for reading, you are loved.

Will



3 comments:

Unknown said...

The top one reminds me of the "Stars" video and the second reminds me of my childhood friend's older brother's (got that?) '68ish Camaro. Nice coasters too.

Jackie said...

What a sweet story! I LOVE the one of the night autumn scene. Which was the one you first fell in love with?

Anonymous said...

Will,

You can be sure I love the whole Hoity Toity ramblings about art as much as the next fella but the reason I am stalking your blog is to see WEDDING PICTURES of some sort.

Please advise before I am forced to seek legal counsel.

Susan Wilhelm (future grandma to Rachel's daughter!)