Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Blogging Again?


Ummmm….okay, I almost feel as though I don’t even have the right to blog any more. It’s been that long. Do I even remember how? If you will allow me, I’d like to try to break myself back in. I figured I’d start with something simple. What have I been cooking lately and other kitchen adventures.

Will (my amazing husband, you remember him) helps lead a group once a week as part of his internship. He’s doing great, by the way. You should see him all dressed up for work. We had to get him some new duds. Pants, a few shirts, TIES, yes, Will is wearing ties to work, and oh my gosh…he looks amazing! I’m his wife, so of course, I think so, but just so you know others have gushed, and I’m sure you would too. I’ll have to post a pic of him all GQtastic soon.

Sorry for that aside. It’s just been so very long and that’s bound to happen here and there on this post. But my reasoning for mentioning his weekly meetings is that I volunteered to bake a sweet treat once a week for him to take with him. I love cooking, baking anything involving food, so I thought…what a wonderful way for me to be involved in a very small but tasty way.

So, I was getting inspiration online at www.foodgawker.com in the cupcake department. I all of the sudden had a huge desire to make cupcakes and get a pastry bag and icing tips and do it up right. So, I did. Got a little “icing kit” at Bed Bath and Beyond and was just beside myself.

For the first week I decided to do a vanilla cupcake with homemade cinnamon icing. The cupcake part was easy as I used a box mix (don’t judge me) and just whipped those babies up. The icing was more challenging and not from a difficulty aspect, its just there’s so little room in our tiny apartment so using the electric mixer and finding an outlet can be tricky. I have a system where I mix in the sink because the outlet is right there. Works nicely. The cupcakes were delic, and the icing was heavenly, a great first effort at homemade buttercream icing. It can only get better with time. I got the inspiration from the “mardi gras” cupcake below.



Around the same time as Will's first meeting, we had a birthday in our office, so I tried my hand again at cupcakes. This time mini ones in chocolate with a peanut butter icing. Check out the picture below. They were pretty much out of this world and that icing...oh my word!



Week 2, I decided to something citrusy and went the route of lemon lime bars. Mmmm....they were indeed tasty, but I wasn't pleased with the crust on these. I love a soft and doughy like crust and these were really shortbread like. I also had a hard time scraping them out of the pan. Trust me, I greased that sucker too. Below is my inspiration for these bars. She did something really cool in that she did some a color variation of lemon and lime. I didn't do all that. I might next time, though. ;)



Week 3, I made, for the first time, the easiest dessert known to man. The classic oatmeal, chocolate and peanut butter drop cookies. Oh my gosh!!! I used to eat these in middle school and early high school by the handful. Yes, I was a good 20-25 pounds heavier then. I bet some of you didn't know that did you? Now you do. Confessional. Enough about my weight loss, if you need a quick dessert, please check out the following. And after so many years, they are still completely addicting!



Last night I think I made my favorite so far...chocolate peppermint patty cupcakes. That's right. And let me tell you, these guys were decadent and delicious. Have a glass of milk on hand because you will need it. The recipe didn't call for icing, but I dotted some chocolate on top, and it is really good. Either way, I'm sure they'll be a crowd pleaser. Hopefully they will go over well tonight with Will and his crew!



And there you have it! My kitchen adventures over these last weeks. I've made some tasty savory dishes as well, but my main focus has been these desserts. There's also a lot going on with Will and I that doesn't necessarily pertain to food. We'll have to update on life and what not in another post. Hopefully much sooner than later.

We hope everyone is well and being awesome and dancing randomly when the occasion calls for it, which is often people. Your loved!

No comments: