I love me some Chinese food. I like the fact that you can order it pretty much any way you like. You can even order it without the sauce and dip your veggies and meat and reduce the amount of calories and sodium. I also like the full on goodness of a great Chinese buffet. I admit it. One of Will and mine’s favorites here in Columbia is the very reasonable Egg Roll Chen. You get gobs of food for such a great price. Two entrees usually last us at least 4 meals. That’s my plug for them. Amazing!
Where’s the annoyance you may be asking. Well, it’s in the neatly wrapped treat of sugar, vanilla and flour, known affectionately as, the Fortune Cookie! Now, they can be a tasty sugar blast after a delic Chinese food extravaganza but what I’m referring to is the “fortune” inside. Examples of fortunes to me are, “You will have much luck in business in the next year” or “You will meet a new best friend” or even, “You will get food poisoning in the near future”. But, unfortunately, I feel 50 percent of the time, you are more likely to get a “proverb” or “blanket statement” which is where I get super annoyed. Things like, “A good heart is worth 20 rose petals” or “A smile is worth its weight in pasta” or, “You have a winning hand shake.”
The kicker occurred last week. Will and I were dining at one of our fav Chinese buffets. We loaded up on the usual goodies like honey chicken, snow peas, broccoli, egg drop soup, and so on and so forth. We enjoyed good food and intriguing conversation. Then the moment came when the bill was brought and with it….our cookies. What I received this time was not only a blanket statement cookie but insulting to boot; “You constantly struggle for self improvement – and it shows”!!! Are you kidding me??
Number 2:
Zaxbys serves up some mighty fine food. I particularly enjoy some of their sal..I mean zalads. The Zensation is tasty and I was enjoying the southwest until they pulled the rug out from under me and took it away. Their naughty treats are good as well, like their boneless wings and fried ‘shrooms. The annoyance is not when they took away my salad but it’s simply in their obnoxious commercials. Whenever I hear that out of tune whistle, I want to cram a chicken finger into the neck of every celebrity they’ve demoralized by being on their commercials. I’m not shocked by some of the people I’ve seen on there, like the tool guy from that obnoxious show or some of the sports people, but I was kind of shocked to recently see Jamie Presley on there. I mean I know she’s no Meryl Streep, but I was kind of surprised to see her in her 50’s poodle skirt sippin’ a milkshake. Jamie, Jamie….
Number 3:
Morning shows literally hurt my body. Whenever you’ve tuned into one, you know it immediately. It’s like when you pass a soap opera on TV. You don’t have to have seen it before or know the show, but it has this film that makes it obviously a soap. Same affect on the ears when it comes to a radio show. I might be offending people in Columbia who like the morning show on 104.7, but honestly I don’t care. They are some of the worst I’ve ever heard.
It’s like 2-3 idiots sit in a room and talk about nothing and their thoughts on it and laugh at themselves and just think that they are the coolest, funniest people on the planet. Just play music, please. Is that too much to ask for on a radio station that plays music? I don’t care about your clever insight into who you think is hot and who is not or how hammered you got over the weekend and the funny antics that ensued. I DON”T CARE! Who does? Anyone? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!



2 comments:
Once we called the customer service number on the fortune cookie wrapper to complain about the fact that the fortune wasn't a fortune. The guy who answered had nothing to do with the cookies, apparently the number was a misprint. Our friend (Neal Carpenter) talked to him anyway and got him to agree that the fortuneless cookies were annoying=)
I know this is late Kristi, but great comment:) Hopefully one day our future fortunes will all make sense. Come on China, get with program!
Post a Comment