With that said there are always those people who for whatever reason say to themselves "Registry?!?! I don't need no registry!! I'll just buy them something random that they don't know they need yet....and that's what I'm here for. I'm a genius!"
Sarah and I just happened to find ourselves with two of these gifts on a Saturday night. An ornate silver fruit basket and a crystal relish tray....thats right..a relish tray. I mean do you really need a whole tray designated for relishes? I assume this could also mean various pickled products to make the dish more versatile, but still, really?
So we set off to Belk and Saks Fifth Avenue attempting to return these fine items, with of course, no receipt. The parking garage of the mall was connected to Belk so the silver fruit thing was goin first. We arrived at costumer service and they informed us that we could return it, but without a receipt meant that we'd get store credit, on a gift card, at the lowest retail price. What apparently started at 30.00 now ended up being more like 8. There was a slight a silver lining though. Sarah got 8 dollars off of a 17 dollar vile of lip gloss(gimme dem lips!!).
The 8 dollar return also gave us hope that maybe this crystal relish creation could go for a lot more. So we arrived at customer service at the Saks Fifth Avenue and the associate their quickly informed us that we'd need a gift receipt to receive any money back for this item. She even went as far as examining the box which revealed an even bigger problem. Apparently there is a crystal making relish tray company called "Fifth Avenue", just with any Saks involved. We walked away feeling like genius's.
So there we were, sitting in the food court, chomping on a salad and a chicken sandwich, with our trusty relish tray by our side. "What are we going to do with this thing?" I said out loud, when the thought hit us. Why don't we just leave it here in the food court for someone who would really appreciate a....well....crystal relish tray.
As we walked away I thought "What if the crystal relish tray began to haunt us, from something out of a horror movie?" Every twist, every turn, there it would be....THE CRYSTAL RELISH TRAY!!
Honestly, I think relish trays are more easy going and not that psychopathic.
Love as always,
Will
3 comments:
I told Sarah that initially, my reaction to some of these random gifts was the same, but in the end, some of them have become my favorite things - like a crystal rose bowl! Keep in mind that, while you might not appreciate some of these more traditional things at this stage in your life, you might when you are 40 or 50 and hosting wedding showers for your childrens' friends! (I told Sarah - your wedding is the one time in your life when people are willing to spend lavishly, and you'll get things you would never spend your own money on later.)
Also, you've gotta' see some of that stuff as a creative challenge. Sure, you might not need a relish tray, but could you use the three separate compartments to hold cheese and the larger one to hold crackers when you entertain? Or for taco toppings and taco shells, respectively?
That said, I've never been able to figure out a use for the ridiculously large deviled egg trays I've received over the years! I can't even make them well! :-)
Wow, thanks a lot for despising my well-thought out gift to you.
HA, just kidding but you better hope the giver doesn't find this post!!
I FEEL TERRIBLE but I didn't RSVP yet. I wish I could be there but I think I told you I couldn't make it. Make sure you mark it on the RSVP list!
I am going to go shopping for you some good registry goodies!
I am loving the picture up top on your blog. And I love even more the lastest blog. Just greatness all over it.
Post a Comment