Monday, June 8, 2009

3

I sat down eagerly waiting for Hillsong United to hit the stage. Naturally my mind started to wander. I imagine most people experience this phenomenon, some a more logical progression, such as...

I wonder what they'll look like?
"Take it All" rocks, I hope they open with that song.
Look at those rad high tops.
I like the blinky lights.

My mind however started pondering the number three. I thought to myself, "This would be a good blogging adventure", so here I am today unleashing the power of blog.

I found several idioms/cultural occurrences that I thought were interesting...

Third times the charm
3 square meals a day
1, 2, 3 strikes you're out
The three R's-Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Two's company three's a crowd
Giving three cheers for someone.
On the count of three.
Ready, Aim, Fire!

(I'm sure you can think of some as well and I challenge you to comment on this post and enlighten me.)

When I used to do a lot of improv comedy, it always amazed me how many of our games incorporated a gag that always got the most laughs in threes. I found this quote that unpacked this concept a bit more...

"The Rule of Three is a pattern used in stories and jokes, where part of the story is repeated three times, with minor variations. The first two instances build tension, and the third releases it by incorporating a twist."

It also comes into play in a spiritual context as well; The trinity, Christ rose on the third day, etc.

I don't really have any conclusions to draw from this blog, I just thought that it's interesting that God orchestrated so many things in three's. I found an extremely comprehensive website that expounded greatly on the spiritual significance of this number. It's pretty long but I'll give you the link if you're interested.

Check it!

In addition, I wanted to let everyone know that I'm going to blog everyday of this week in order to draw from the encouragement and inspiration that Jarrot G. has given me.

I also found this amazingly awkward photo of a family of three.

5 comments:

Eric McCoy said...

How could you forget "Three Times a Lady"?

Will and Sarah said...

Or "Gimmie Three Steps" for that matter.

Unknown said...

311
3 Dog Night
three-peat
"3, is a magic number" - Schoolhouse Rock
3 way tie (it happens)
3 Doors Down (ugh)
"Third Stone From The Sun" - Hendrix
"3's & 7's" - Queens of the Stone Age
"3's a Charm" - Bleu
"3:00AM" - Edwin McCain
"360" - Josh Hoge
"3X5" - Mayer

Jarröt said...

I'm SO jealous you got to see Hill Song United. They aren't coming anywhere near Texas, what up with that!?!? Anyways I love their new CD if you didn't get it your the dumbest person ALIVE! But I wanted to let you know that I've been praying for your up coming trip. I will kill over with joy to once again live vicariously through this blog with y'all!

Will and Sarah said...

To Randy: Ok, Ok, you win!

To Jarrot G.: The show was amazing. Thank you for the prayers and hopefully these blogs are honoring your admonishments.