Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 4/5

I'm alive. My absence isn't because i've wasted away to nothing, although I'm shrinking a little. Seven days without food will do that do you. I say seven because there were two days of "easing in" where I only drink liquids, but I am allowed a smoothie or veg juice. I know, decedance, right??

I spent my day 4 using the bathroom a lot and cooking over at my in-laws. Can I just take a moment to speak of the amazing that they are...their home is always open to us to come wash clothes, print out stuff, work a puzzle. Yes, I did impressive damage on a 1,000 piecer. But, seriously, I have AMAZING family.


I cooked because Mama Gayle's usual Sunday dinner yumminess wasn't going to make the table due to having to do extra work over the weekend. I stepped in and created a feast! I worked with something new. Shrimp in their shelled, veined and poopy selves. That was new and time consuming, but I welcomed it gladly. Took my mind off my hunger and growing distaste for lemons and maple syrup.


I prepared shrimp stuffed with a little horseradish then wrapped in bacon. My sweet husband helped wrap em up in the bacon. That was fun! I heard that it was amazing. I imagined it was. I do a lot of imagining. There was a dipping sauce too! That was difficult. Not tasting something that took so long to prepare and had never tasted and looked and smelled like a bit of heaven...

So there was that, creamy risotto, baked chicken, big salad, green beans and sweet potatoes. It got rave reviews! Yay!!! I found myself longingly and inappropriately allowing my gaze to linger on everyone as they ate. Thankfully I didn't get caught and I didn't drool and I DIDN"T EAT!!!

Yesterday I had the day off from work. Thank you presidents present and past. I spent a lazy morning with husband and then sent him off to work like a real housewife. I was still in my robe. Then I set to working and cleaning some until Will's lunch break. I made him a sandwich, grabbed an apple, bagged some chips while holding my breath, lest I be tempted to sneak one and headed off to see him. That was fun, and I drank my lemonade and watched him eat. Right.

Then....I did a little clothes perousing at Urband Threads. Shout out to the Cola ladies, half off Anthopologie goods! I got me a skirt half off....adoreable and a dress from Urban Outfitters, which I thought was also half off, but it was pretty inexpensive to start. I also got my very first Columbia parking ticket. I feel like an official Columbian now!


Tired and a little depleted but happy with my purchases, I made my way home and cleaned some more, took a little down time for some Airport Mania 2,my latest gaming addiction and then colored my hair. I am such a geeky woman! I have to stay busy or food thoughts will overcome me.

I'll wrap up my yesterday with a not so great cooking moment. I attempted my first whole chicken. I opened him up, got all the junk out of the cavity. I was a natural. Rinsed him off, patted him down and stuffed him with lemons and garlic. I moved my fingers under the skin with precision and skill and then inserted pats of butter in there. Coated with olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper and oregeno. Sounds just right, right?

Well, after checking for doneness after the recommended cooking time, my meat thermometer seemed right on...but taking him out and beginning the carving process proved to be an altogether different outcome. Parts were done and parts were not. That was frustrating. So, I put the undone parts on a rack above my roasting pan and finished it off. I guess it was to humble me for the deliciousness the night before.

I started day 6 today! Halfway there!!! So hard to believe. I'm gonna finish this thing. I leave you with a picture of what I will be making post cleanse for a little sweet treat! Candied ginger/chocolate cookies! Goodness sakes!

No comments: